My Flickr feed

www.flickr.com

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Building on the cherry popping

So my trip to Stratford-upon-Avon had taken my street photography virginity and the question in my mind was, what's next?

Of course the answer was another trip to Stratford-upon-Avon two days later, I'd told my wife Helen all about it and how enjoyable it had been, so she agreed to tag along.

Checking the exif data on my images from that day, it would seem I was still using the kit lens and wasn't sure of the best camera settings to use. So although I was finding it easier to point the camera around at strangers, my camera technique was left wanting.

I baited my camera hook for images in the 'candid portrait' area of street photography, so trying to get unposed close-in shots of interesting people. Lack of courage meant I struggled to get in close enough and found myself trying to avoid direct eye contact in a hope to minimise any confrontation.





When you're in the early days of street photography you'll have to try and avoid the trap of plumping for the easy shots, this was a trap I fell straight into. Street performers, people using mobile phones, cameras or taking surveys are all easy pickings for street photography and you'll have to develop your own set of standards regarding the such validity of such targets as you gain experience.





Now I'm not saying these subjects can't make interesting images but in the main they don't and I'll happily include all of mine in the 'not so good pile'. I think it's fine to target these people to practise technique and build confidence but don't expect to set the world alight with your images.





I do draw the moral line on homeless people though and I wouldn't take street shots of them unless there was some strong artistic merit to doing so, certainly not just for practise. I also have some issues taking photos of people through windows, not in a Peeping Tom kinda way but like in a cafe situation for example. I am a little more flexible on this rule as I do like a lot of the images I have seen in this style but for me if someone is sitting down having a meal, the level of intrusion on personal space is a little too high to warrant the taking of a photo.




I think it was on this day that the 'Big 5' idea was of mine was formed, it was when 'ear muffs' started to catch my eye, I'd see them and it felt like it was my right to photograph anyone interesting wearing them.

Fear and nervousness waned a little and I openly risked eye contact for the first time.





I fired off two shots of this girl as she was crossing the road, the first had eye contact but was way out of focus. In this one she's trying to look away, I liked it at the time but as with all these early shots of mine their appeal is more about the emotional connection they have for me personally than image quality.

The photo does highlight a couple of quick points though.

Firstly, is that when you're building up confidence and trying to control your fears, taking photos as you're using a crossing is a good idea as they're less likely to cross back over the road to confront you. I should add at this point that fear of confrontation is just that, it's a perceived fear and actual confrontational issues are rare. I have yet to have anyone be confrontational with me when I've been photographing them, I'll save my futher thoughts on this issue for another posting.

Secondly, is the use of black and white in your images, many would disagree with this but I think in general that black and white processing will add impact to an 'ordinary' image and most of my early shots are just that. Once you start to know your style and what makes good images you'll be more able to decide where colour/black and white should be used.  I'll do a longer post on this topic and post proceesing in general soon.

The only image from this day's shooting that I left in colour was this one, I was still not sure how to set my camera up, so as with many that day it was out of focus. I thought at the time that it had more energy when processed in colour and is at the very least, evidence that I was starting to risk eye contact.





The highlight of the day were three couples who were driving through in these strange open top cars, as they slowed up at the roundabout I ran over and snapped away. They saw me coming so they were more posed than candid but some nice smiles were my reward and it was my first time actively interacting with my subjects (ooh I sound like the Queen).









I was such a novice that I completely forgot to get a shot of the cars, and they were even cooler than the people.

By the way, Helen took the 'point and shoot' camera and had a go, the speed of the camera caused her some problems. To alleviate her nervousness she targeted dogs and their owners, this is a great option if you like to interact with your subject as the dog gives you an easy 'in'.

This was one of Helen's.




I really enjoyed the day and was loving street photography, my next challenge was to learn how to set the camera up correctly and improve the quality of my images.

So off to google I did go.


If you liked this post please click on the share buttons below, it's quick and easy

2 comments:

Herbie Neil said...

Already some great pictures James. The black and white seems to add so much drama. I'm definitely going to have a look at those ebooks and I resolve to put some B&W images on my Herbie blog.

Keep it up.

Neil

Unknown said...

Thanks Neil, I'm really enjoying both the photography and the blogging but it's early days for both.

I'm hoping that they'll compliment each other and that the quality of both rises rapidly.

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips